We can agree that Google Chrome is one of the most feature packed browsers and it has some of the most helpful features you would want in a browser. I also love the fact that I can enable more Chrome features using Chrome extensions and Chrome flags. Another great thing about Google Chrome is that it supports more than 100 languages and that’s simply phenomenal. This allows Chrome users to use the browser in any regional language and benefit from the web. Google surely knows how to bring users from every corner of the world onto its platform. In this article, we are going to show you how to change language in Google Chrome so that you can enjoy using it in your own language.
Change Language in Google Chrome (2019)
There are various ways to change the language in Google Chrome and they vary depending on the platform you are using Chrome on. So, we will cover how to change Chrome language on different mobile and desktop platforms. We will also cover specific use case scenario so you know what to do whenever you need to change language in Google Chrome. Feel free to jump across the sections.
Change Language in Google Chrome (Windows, Linux and Chrome OS)
1. Click on the 3-dot menu on the top-right corner and open Settings.
2. Here, click on the hamburger menu on the top-left corner and click on Advanced to expand the menu. After that, click on Languages.
3. Open the Language tab and click on “Add languages”.
4. Here, select the language that you want to use on Google Chrome. After that, click on the Add button.
5. Following that, click on the 3-dot menu beside the language of your choice and enable “Display Google Chrome in this language”.
6. After that, click on “Relaunch” button for the changes to take effect.
7. Open the Language settings again and click on “move to the top” beside your chosen language. Now you have successfully changed Chrome language including the UI and overall settings.
8. In case you also want to change the language of Google search on Chrome then you need to complete one more step. Perform a Google search and click on Settings just below the search box and choose Language.
9. After that, select your preferred language and click on the Save button. Now onwards, your Google search will also be in the language of your choice.
Force Change Google Chrome Language
If you change the language from Chrome’s native Settings then it will only be limited to Chrome’s UI and Settings. To force language change on every webpage on the internet, there are a few settings and extensions which do the job perfectly well. Here are the steps to force language change across the web.
1. Open Chrome’s Settings and navigate to Languages as mentioned in the above steps. Here, open Language tab and enable “Offer to translate pages that aren’t in a language you read” toggle.
2. Now Chrome should automatically offer you translate page dialog besides the address bar.
3. Sometimes even after enabling the Settings, Chrome doesn’t change the language of webpages. To force language change manually, install Google Translate extension (free) on Chrome.
4. Now whenever you are on a webpage which is not in the language you read, click on the Google Translate extension and further click on “Translate this page”. It will change the whole webpage to your primary language.
5. In case you don’t want to use an extension, you can go to Google Translate’s page and paste the URL of the webpage. It will generate a custom link, click on it and you will be able to read the website in your language of choice.
Change Google Chrome Language for Typing
Sometimes we want to change Chrome’s language for specific purposes like typing in a different language, transliteration, etc. For such cases, there are certain tools which let you change the language of your writing without messing with Chrome’s native Settings. In this section, I am going to show you how you can achieve this.
1. Install Google Input tools extension (free) on your Chrome.
2. Click on Google Input extension on the top-right corner and open “Extension Options”.
3. On the left side, add the input method as to how you want to change the language of your writing.
4. Now click on the extension to activate it. Now whenever you type, it will be changed to your chosen language.
Change Language in Google Chrome on macOS
Sadly, you can’t change the language of Google Chrome separately on macOS. You will have to change the system language first at the OS level and only then it will force Google Chrome to run in that specific language. So to change Chrome’s default language on macOS, follow these steps.
1. Open System Preferences and navigate to Language and Region.
2. Here, click on the + button at the bottom-left corner to add your choice of language.
3. After that, choose your preferred language and click on the “Add” button.
4. Following that, It will ask if you want to set the new language as the default language for the OS. Accept it.
4. Now open Chrome and you will see the language has changed to your preference.
Change Language in Google Chrome on Android
Similar to macOS, you need to change the system language on Android to change Chrome’s default language. It means the change in system language will affect all your apps and settings.
1. Open Settings on your Android device and scroll down to System. Further, tap on “Languages and Input”.
2. Here, tap on Languages and then tap on “Add a language”. Now select your language of choice from the list.
3. After that, move the chosen language to the top by dragging the hamburger bar on the right side.
4. Now open Chrome on your Android device and you will see the app in your chosen language.
Change Language in Google Chrome on iPhone
On iOS too you can’t change Google Chrome’s language without changing the system language. Here are the steps to change system language which will eventually force Google Chrome to run in the new language.
1. Open Settings and navigate to General. Now scroll down and tap on Language and Region.
2. After that, open iPhone Language to choose your choice of language.
3. Further, accept the request to change iPhone’s language. Now open Chrome and you will have the browser in your choice of language.
Change Google Chrome Language to Make it Your Own
Chrome is quite a powerful browser and we love it. There are several Chrome features which are pretty underrated and support for various languages is one of them. If you want to use Chrome in your local language, go ahead and use it. It works flawlessly. Besides, I have provided alternative ways to translate pages and type in local languages too so it should help. Lastly, if you liked the article or you have any suggestions for us, you can let us know in the comment section below.